May 6, 2008
I am finally inspired to write. Having recently entered the modern age, with a laptop, a digital camera and a modem at my disposal now, I guess I can finally begin the process of putting my thoughts in order. I have wanted to write for a long time - about my loopy life in Mexico, about how I have changed from American urban hip chick to Mexican mother and housewife living life in a dusty backroad village. How is it possible that just a few years ago I was cruising the freeways of the San Francisco Bay Area, shopping at Whole Foods and at the mall, working on the 49th floor in the Financial District, every day my stomach dropping from the fast whoosh of the elevator and from the prospect of another day pushing papers around? Here I am today with my laundry hung out on the line in my yard, my dishes piling up in my outdoor kitchen sink where water comes from the garden hose, and my neighbor's sheep baa-ing for background music. And here I am today with the sweetest little 6 month old baby taking a nap in his crib right behind me - what changes, what miracles, what blessings have found their way into my life and found me here right where I am?! Life is full of infinite possibilities.
I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I will begin with tomorrow - tomorrow we have an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City. Our son Marco will get his US passport, his Social Security card, and a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. What a lucky guy - he'll have dual citizenship - American and Mexican. I am nervous - I always am when it comes to government offices and authority figures. I've saved so many documents and photos and medical records and receipts for so long, from even before I was pregnant, planning for this day and hoping that everything turns out okay. All just so I can go on a quick trip this summer to Montana. I am still so sad about Nikis not being able to go with us, all because of the insanity of immigration politics and him not being able to get a simple tourist visa to the States. I am also stressed about the concept of traveling on a plane with a baby by myself - how to change a diaper, how to keep him entertained, what to do with him if I have to go to the bathroom, etc. But first things first - tomorrow and the grand appointment that begins his life as a legal US citizen.