I gave someone a healing and soul retrieval the other day. It had been a while, but I was happy to click into the zone pretty quickly. Burning a little sage and palo santo, lighting a candle, grounding and praying, calling in the spirits, and I began to “see” what was going on, what needed to be done, what was happening. The healing took me some places I had never gone before – we actually left the healing room in mid-session for some releasing I knew had to take place outside at the Dreaming House 2000 year old well. There is nothing quite like hanging over the dark tunnel of a well to release all your tears into the water of the earth – it is quite refreshing, to say the least. Such gifts, such opportunities.
When the healing session was finished, I had to acknowledge to the person who received the healing something I’ve been rolling around in my mind a lot lately: I am awed, humbled, stunned, at the level of suffering through which so many people pass in their lives – the cruelty, the hell, the nightmare. I am awed that people actually survive and still somehow manage to have a reasonably “functional” life, and not only that, but they actually still accomplish things, anything, in their life. And not only that, but many people still find some iota of energy to grow awareness and a will to not live in “survival” but to transform their lives into something healed and joyous. And even others find enough trust and love in their healing that they turn around and offer healing and service to others who are suffering. This inspires complete awe in me. And I have no idea how these people do it. To climb from the worst traumas you can’t even imagine out into the light … How do they do it? With the incredible creative force that defines our humanity, to always seek love and healing, the “pursuit of happiness,” to always strive to create something new.
The inevitable question these people ask, and I ask it myself, is why are there so many humans who are so cruel and insane and fallen out of alignment with their Creator that they would inflict such cruelty and trauma on others? I have no idea. I have no answers when people ask me this. But I can tell them that there is a path through it, because I’ve seen it walked so many times before. It’s why power places like Teotihuacan were created. It’s why we make art. It’s why we cook wholesome food for ourselves. It’s why we sing a little song to ourselves in the shower. It’s why we have children. We take all these actions so that we can walk in every moment away from the trauma of the human experience and always towards the joy and light of it. Humanity – we are so destructive and so creative. There’s that duality again. Which side of it are you on?
Image: Four Petaled Flower, Soft Pastel on Amate Bark Paper, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment