You know how my kitchen sink is outside? Well, that means my dish sponge and my little bowl where I mix up my powdered Mexi-dishsoap are outside as well, on a funky rusty shelf I have screwed into the cinderblock wall. Not generally a problem, aside from the dust and grime that accumulate from the wind and rain that come flying through. But I am totally used to washing my dishes outside - although it's a drag on cold winter nights or during a long rainstorm, it can also be amazing on a sunny day with the sweet aroma of my honeysuckle bush wafting over, with a close-up view of hummingbirds sucking nectar from the blossoms, or big yellow butterflies fluttering by. So I don't think much of lugging my dish rack outside and digging in, grabbing my sponge and turning on the hose to rinse off the dishes.
So today I grab my sponge from the bowl on the shelf like any day and start wiping off a dirty pitcher, and I see something dark on the sponge out of my peripheral vision. I guess I was sidetracked by how lovely my new plants were that I had just planted in the garden, so I wasn't really paying any attention at all. Well, when I finally focused my vision on the freaking sponge in my hand, I notice that there is a giant scorpion latched onto it, about a millimeter from my fingers. I flung the sponge away so fast like a hot potato that it went flying out onto the lawn. I ran over then and flicked the sponge over with my foot and the creepy little dude kept trying to burrow back under the sponge, but I got him out and with one big stomp of my shoe squashed all his goopy guts out. Then of course I had to study him like a kid in science class - his little stinger all extended, as if he'd been just about to plant it into my finger, and his pincers splayed out in a now useless effort to defend himself. I don't know - scorpions just give me the willies. They're at the base of the famous image of the Aztec calender, a classic symbol for the root chakra, their stinging tails uncoiling and wrapping up around the circle of the calendar in the same way the Kundalini serpent unfurls itself. So supposedly scorpions symbolize life force and sexual energy and all that core kundalini stuff. Guess life and sex must be scary to me then, because scorpions are just creepy as all hell.
No comments:
Post a Comment