Friday, July 18, 2008

Migracion

Oh my god, I'm so tired and my head feels like its been pushed through a cement wall, cement wall being a fairly accurate description of the bureaucracy at the Instituto de Migracion in Mexico City. I knew it was coming and I kept putting it off - this long ass trek to Polanco, on the far side of that steaming smog-spewing wooly mammoth of a big city that Mexico City is, through the doors of the Immigration Office with its slack-jawed blank-stared clerks who stamp away furiously on page after page of legal documents but come to a screeching halt when you actually address them as a human being. And when they address you, it is to say "no," "I'm sorry but we have to follow the rules and regulations," "I'm sorry we're such asswipes that we made you stand in line for 3 hours just to get your documents notarized, causing you to miss the hours at the document review window, because we close at 12 noon because we're asswipe bureaucrats who are too lazy to work and too cool to do a favor for someone who has now stood in various lines in this office today for a total of 5 hours after a long 2 hour trip here and a 2 hour trip home. So sorry, you'll just have to come back on Monday and stand in this line again so we can once again treat you like shit. Don't worry, your nursing baby you left at home will be fine - he'll drink water. "

What else can I say? That sums up my day, doesn't it? That and the hot sweaty busride home where everyone inevitably turns around and stares at me when the bus stops at the pyramids like "Aren't you going to get off here, gringa? It's the pyramids!" And I have to explain to everyone including the driver, that no, I'm not getting off at the pyramids. Strange as it may seem, a gringa actually lives amongst them. A gringa lives at the next stop, in a little village called San Sebastian. Or at least a gringa lives amongst them if the Instituto Nacional de Migracion wills it when she returns the long way back to their office on Monday to stand in line again and hopefully gets her visa renewed.

No comments: